A Windows Secrets reader wrote in to me last week who had inadvertently managed to get a program called MyStart by IncrediMail installed on his PC. This is an extension to the main IncrediMail program (a popular email tool) which keeps you up-to-date with the latest developments at IncrediMail. If you don’t care about the latest developments at IncrediMail, it soon gets pretty annoying.
This feature changes your Internet home page, replacing it with a MyStart page, and if you try to change it back yourself, IncrediMail won’t let you.
You could uninstall the whole IncrediMail tool from your PC, but if you do actually use it for email, you can disable MyStart as follows:
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the Tools (cog shaped) icon.
- Select the menu option Internet options.
- In the Home Page field type the URL of the site you’d like to use as your home page (e.g. www.windows-secrets.co.uk).
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Select the option Use this webpage as your only home page and click the Yes button.
- Open IncrediMail and choose Tools > Options.
- Click the Security tab and untick Notify me about changes in my homepage settings.
- Click OK.
Undo the change to IE made by IncrediMail